The Tishman Review welcomes submissions of fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction as follows:
Submissions for the October 2019 issue: April 30, 2019 – July 15th, 2019.
General Submission Guidelines
- Your manuscript and filename must not have any identifying information on it nor a cover letter attached within the file.
- Please only include a cover letter in the Comments Section area on Submittable. In the cover letter please provide the title(s) and the corresponding page numbers (for poetry). We will request a bio upon acceptance.
- Our co-founding editors are committed to producing a journal that reflects the diversity of humanity. Please feel free to share your gender/race/ethnicity/socioeconomic background to assist us in this task. The cover letter will be viewed only by the co-founding editors and only in the last phase of the consideration process.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed but you must withdraw the work immediately if accepted elsewhere.
- Submissions must be previously unpublished, original works.
- We are not looking for any gratuitous violence or sex or any work that is misogynistic, racist, or homophobic.
- Please send only one submission at a time, but you are free to submit again after you have received a response from us.
- Prose submissions must be double-spaced, paginated, and in standard manuscript format. Please use only one space after a period.
- We do our best to respond to each submission within 90 days. If it has been longer than 100 days, please send an inquiry to us at: email@example.com.
- Please allow 9 months after publication in TTR to submit poetry or prose again.
- During every reading period, we offer FEE FREE regular submissions. We announce these days a few days prior via social media. Follow us on Twitter @TishmanReview.
Please send at least three (3) poems and up to four (4) poems, with each new poem beginning on a fresh page, in a single computer file. We prefer the concrete over the abstract.
We are open to the possibilities an author may present and are not expecting a particular kind of story. With that in mind, please submit your very best work, the work you are most proud of, the work that best represents your voice in the world.
Micro-fiction: up to 300 words. You may include up to 3 pieces of micro-fiction in one submission.
Flash fiction: up to 1,000 words.
Short Story: up to 6,000 words.
We are looking for personal essays, memoir, lyric essays and literary journalism up to 5,000 words.
We are always on the lookout for those interesting pieces you came up with late one night, or the photos you took because you couldn’t stop looking at something with all its crazy curves and textures. We’ll consider all mediums – photos, paintings, pencil drawings, pen and ink, charcoal – as well as cartoons. Submissions must be adaptable to accommodate the space – so please send us your work in a minimum of 300 dpi. If submitting for interior art, we are primarily interested in black and white images. You can submit pieces in color for the interior, but they must translate well into a black and white format. Send up to 8 images in one submission.
Please remember that we are a small non-profit, all-volunteer literary journal. We pay $75 for cover art and $10 for each piece published in the interior of the magazine. We also archive our issues, including making the pod and e-book available in the future.
General Submission Information
- The Tishman Review pays all of our text contributors according to the genre.
- Poems are paid on a sliding scale between $10 and $25 per poem.
- Creative nonfiction and fiction is paid a minimum of $10 for a piece under 1000 words and for a piece over 1000 words at .01 cents per word. While we realize this is a small payment, our hope is (with continued support and growth) to be able to increase the amount we pay.
- Contributors receive one complimentary print copy if mailed to a U.S. address and an annual e-book subscription to TTR.
- Contributors can order print copies sent to one U.S. address at our cost. International contributors may request a quote for print copies at our cost that are shipped to one address.
- Contributors are welcome to run a complimentary advertisement in one issue of their latest book publication.
- We buy First Electronic Publication Rights, Non-exclusive print-on-demand rights to the work in the issue the work first appears in, and Archival rights only in the form the work first appears in The Tishman Review, with the copyright reverting back to the author upon publication.
- We do not buy the right to publish the work in an anthology or a different issue. We reserve the right to keep any work we publish.
- Should a piece first published in The Tishman Review be reprinted in another work, we request the later publication include an acknowledgment of The Tishman Review.